Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Work's murder...+Business English?

2204hrs: Work's been a little tough the last few days. I don't know if I'm slow or just tired. I haven't been sleeping well the past few days. I'm getting that jolted sleep thing again. I wake at 5am in the morning for no good reason. Not even to pee! My body seems to just wake up for the fun of it! By the time I manage to drift off to slumber, my alarm clocks are screaming at me to wake up.

I've been trying hard to clear the backlogged work since I started at this job. I really have been trying hard to clear the work but all I managed today was to clear one fucking email. ONE! JUST ONE! But it was an email with a long list of accounts invoices and I had to find out the status of each and everyone. Which is the bread and butter of my job. I exist only to find out when people are getting paid. To be fair, I only managed to clear one email cause I had to do other stuff. I spent the morning sending out invoices and such. I've gotta make sure the invoices aren't duplicates which means constant checking through the damned files. The afternoon was spent trying to find out the statuses of all those invoices. I almost went blind staring at the endless statement of accounts. In the end when I was done, I missed something. I spent one fucking hour trying to figure out why the numbers weren't matching. Only to have my colleague(who's slightly more senior than me) spot my mistake. Fuck! I've got 5 more emails to clear tomorrow not including the new ones that'll come in tomorrow. I need to rest better to perform better or else I'll miss out stuff like I did today. It's fucking simple straight forward stuff but I missed it cause I didn't scroll up the fucking spreadsheet. FUCK!

What's with people in the office? I had never heard the phrase 'Going forward' until I stepped into this office. It's suppose to replace 'From now on or In future'. What kind of English is 'Going forward'? It just sounded totally weird when I first heard it. What's worse, the people in the office use it in conversations as well. It's just bad English. The other day, my colleague was typing out an email for me and I highlighted a grammar mistake to her. But she insisted it was right even though I knew it was wrong. But rather than spend 5 mins arguing about the grammar, I shut up. But I didn't like the email going out with my name on it bearing a grammar mistake. It was so uncomfortable. I mean come on, English is the only language I'm proficient at. If the phrase doesn't sound right to me, it probably isn't. I'm not saying I'm perfect. I'm just saying that when I spot a mistake, IT IS A MISTAKE. Ok ok...I'm being anal about it. But I just wanted to bitch about that.

I'm tired but I'm not sleeping well. It sucks and I wish for some Valium right now even though I don't like to use drugs to sleep. Arrrggghhhh......

Needs to get some proper uninterrupted sleep @ 2228hrs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home