Saturday, April 22, 2006

Pain in my side

2307hrs: Yes, I am again stuck in camp on guard duty. It is always an annoyance to be 'stuck' in a place for 24 hours with little to nothing to do. The food isn't anything to rave about and on days like today where there's no hot water, no power to the vending machine and no lights in the eerie toilet, it can get a tad more annoying. I've taken to relieving myself in the drain running along the corridor instead of using the toilet. No, I have no fetish for peeing in full view of the one other person in camp. The toilet's eerie enough with the lights on but now with it being no more than a dark void, I'm sure as hell not gonna step into it.

The day went along quite briskly. Took a nap at about 2pm even though it was frought with many awakenings, I finally woke up surprised that it was sun down. I had unknowingly slept for 5.5 hours.

Even though I know I shouldn't be complaining about guard duties here, I still do. Yes, most of my peers can only dream about the autonomy and freedom I get here. And if you're on duty with the right person you could even go toad hunting together after the last routine phone call from HQ. Through those hunting sessions, I've developed a sickeningly effective method of killing toads(and giant moths). A little hand soap on the eyes and nostrils will see the poor amphibian flip over in under 2 mins. "But that's so cruel!!!", some of you might say. I make no apologies for having no remorse about snuffing out the poor froggies. But honestly, I do not do it as often as you might think. More often than not, you'll find me buried in a book / article, someone's blog or catching on some show. In the end, I just don't like to spend my weekends / weekday nights stuck in camp. But thankfully the number of guard duties I have left can be counted on one hand.

I've got another guard duty on Monday. As hateful as that is, I planned it that way so I can have a long weekend next week. And it's the last one for April. I'm looking forward to the end of all these weekly annoyances.

61 days to ORD @ 2344hrs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home