A 30mm GAU-8 Cannon please?
1944hrs: I've never really disliked any particular car but this one takes the cake. I saw it last week at Stagmont Camp when I was there for a course. And I saw it again last night driving along Yio Chu Kang Rd. And today my friends in camp were looking at a pic of it in the Clubsnap forum. According to the forum, this has shot to super stardom within the auto community here. Almost every car forum has a thread on this particular car.

Yes...that's aluminium foil on the side skirts.

Unfortunately that's also aluminium you see on the bumper there.
My friends and I tried to speculate why someone would do such a thing to his car. And how impractical it is(how do you wash around the dimples?). We thought of the possibility that the owner might be an aerodynamicist conducting an ongoing experiment with this bizarre 'low-drag' concept. Perhaps the dimples create a sort of high/low pressure enviroment that might allow the air to flow faster over the dimples like on aerofoils. Where the air flowing over the top of the wing creates a low-pressure under the wing which then creates 'lift'. The dimpled texture of golf balls does lower the drag generated while it goes through the air and the rough texture on a shark's skin creates almost no drag while it torpedoes through the water. Whatever the reason, the car really is crazy looking. You may not be able to see but when I saw it up close last week, I saw a pair of diffusers(fins that contribute to downforce especially found on race cars) under the rear bumper and it seems to have been shaped out of aluminum foil.
Who knows one day we'll all be driving in dimpled cars like this with a much lower drag co-efficient compared to un-dimpled cars. Which generally contributes to lower fuel comsumption and so on. Though I highly doubt the dimples are contributing anything to the aerodynamics. It's probably just a senile old man's attempt at making his car look different.
But you'll never catch me in one of these. I would much rather use it for target practice with a 30mm GAU-8 Avenger cannon.
So Janan, what do you think? Do all those dimples really aide in the airflow? Please tell me it's absurd? I don't want the day when all those sleek fighter jets I love so much covered in this crap.
Always amazed at a man's ability to make a complete fool of himself @ 2009hrs
Janan's answer @ 2330hrs
In a nutshell, there's 3 types of drag any object experiences.
A dimple golfball is not smooth, but its dimple drastically reduce decreases one type of drag whilst slightly increasing the other type, that's why Tiger woods can drive a dimpled g-ball 300 yards, and a smooth g-ball 150 yards.
They're experimenting with the idea on planes, but note, it affects airflow over the plane, so no, not likely to happen on planes unless they find a way to lower the affected airflow.
You know what disrupted airflow to engines and even cause larger vortices which can send a plane tumbling from the sky.
Not sure what that guy is thinking? He's better off lowering his suspension if he wants better aerodynamics.
Janan is a Aerospace Engineering undergraduate at NTU. Which makes him an excellent consult on such things as aerodynamics.

Yes...that's aluminium foil on the side skirts.

Unfortunately that's also aluminium you see on the bumper there.
My friends and I tried to speculate why someone would do such a thing to his car. And how impractical it is(how do you wash around the dimples?). We thought of the possibility that the owner might be an aerodynamicist conducting an ongoing experiment with this bizarre 'low-drag' concept. Perhaps the dimples create a sort of high/low pressure enviroment that might allow the air to flow faster over the dimples like on aerofoils. Where the air flowing over the top of the wing creates a low-pressure under the wing which then creates 'lift'. The dimpled texture of golf balls does lower the drag generated while it goes through the air and the rough texture on a shark's skin creates almost no drag while it torpedoes through the water. Whatever the reason, the car really is crazy looking. You may not be able to see but when I saw it up close last week, I saw a pair of diffusers(fins that contribute to downforce especially found on race cars) under the rear bumper and it seems to have been shaped out of aluminum foil.
Who knows one day we'll all be driving in dimpled cars like this with a much lower drag co-efficient compared to un-dimpled cars. Which generally contributes to lower fuel comsumption and so on. Though I highly doubt the dimples are contributing anything to the aerodynamics. It's probably just a senile old man's attempt at making his car look different.
But you'll never catch me in one of these. I would much rather use it for target practice with a 30mm GAU-8 Avenger cannon.
So Janan, what do you think? Do all those dimples really aide in the airflow? Please tell me it's absurd? I don't want the day when all those sleek fighter jets I love so much covered in this crap.
Always amazed at a man's ability to make a complete fool of himself @ 2009hrs
Janan's answer @ 2330hrs
In a nutshell, there's 3 types of drag any object experiences.
A dimple golfball is not smooth, but its dimple drastically reduce decreases one type of drag whilst slightly increasing the other type, that's why Tiger woods can drive a dimpled g-ball 300 yards, and a smooth g-ball 150 yards.
They're experimenting with the idea on planes, but note, it affects airflow over the plane, so no, not likely to happen on planes unless they find a way to lower the affected airflow.
You know what disrupted airflow to engines and even cause larger vortices which can send a plane tumbling from the sky.
Not sure what that guy is thinking? He's better off lowering his suspension if he wants better aerodynamics.
Janan is a Aerospace Engineering undergraduate at NTU. Which makes him an excellent consult on such things as aerodynamics.
1 Comments:
In a nutshell, there's 3 types of drag any object experiences.
A dimple golfball is not smooth, but its dimple drastically reduce decreases one type of drag whilst slightly increasing the other type, that's why Tiger woods can drive a dimpled g-ball 300 yards, and a smooth g-ball 150 yards.
They're experimenting with the idea on planes, but note, it affects airflow over the plane, so no, not likely to happen on planes unless they find a way to lower the affected airflow.
You know what disrupted airflow to engines and even cause larger vortices which can send a plane tumbling from the sky.
Not sure what that guy is thinking? He's better off lowering his suspension if he wants better aerodynamics.
Post a Comment
<< Home