Sunday, April 29, 2007

Send me into orgasmic bliss....Please?

0113hrs: Went hunting for a bike helmet today since I'm starting my practical lessons soon. The few bike shops I first visited weren't much help. Mostly cause they didn't bother that I was standing around(obviously in need of some assistance). Another reason was that I had trouble communicating cause of my lacklustre mandarin. So I gave up, called my friend and was told I might have better luck with the bike shops further down the road. Before I headed down to the other shops, I took the chance to visit the Ducati showroom. I didn't stay there long cause I felt outta place. Considering the bikes are way out of my league.

Now a little enlightenment for you folks out there not familiar with the brand. Ducatis(Duke for short) are basically your two-wheeled equivalents of Ferraris in the bike world. They have the same Italian design and charm you find in those prancing horses but at one tenth the cost. So a flagship Ducati 999 would cost just S$30,000 while an entry level Ferrari F430 costs in upwards of S$400,000. When I said Dukes are the two-wheeled equivalents of Ferraris, it includes performance as well. Dukes are as mad as their four wheeled brethrens and their engine note is just as evocative. I've never thought Dukes to have an engine note as sweet as a Harley's V-twin but 3 Dukes kindly provided a lesson for me today while I was waiting for my helmet at the last bike shop. These 3 expat fellas were leaving the shop and the customers waiting for their orders all gathered outside as if expecting a spectacle when the Dukes fired up. It was more than that. The moment that aptly named Ducati Monster fired up, I went into an orgasmic high and nearly wet myself. Then the second Monster fired up followed by the Duke 999. I tell you I was in MOTOR BLISS! It unravelled like how I imagined all my wet dreams involving Italian machines would be.

Alas Dukes are out of the question for another 2 years or so. That's when I expect to be licensed for the big bikes(eg. Harleys, Superbikes and especially Dukes). Which is just as well because all I want now is a simple dirt bike. But the dirt bike I've been having wet dreams about is still out of my league. So I've settled for something a little more realistic. I've been trawling the local bike forums and when it came to dirt bikes, the Yamaha WR200 kept coming up(after many mentions of KTMs obviously). I looked over a few bikes that were for sale on the forum and I think the WR200 might be a good alternative to the S$12,000 KTMs. Namely because it costs 1/4 the price and maintenance is pretty carefree as well. The only thing is that it's out of production so only second hand ones are left. But the second hand ones I saw for sale on the forum didn't look too bad. In fact there were quite a few I wouldn't mind putting a down payment for. The prices ranged from $1500 - $3000. Which isn't too bad for a first bike and it's definitely more affordable than a KTM. Considering I'll be treating the bike more like a weekend toy/pose mobile rather than a mode of transport, I think the Yamaha WR200 will do just fine. Who knows? I might not like riding a bike as much I think I do. If and when I do come to that conclusion, I don't want to be stuck with a $12,000 loan for a bike I don't wanna ride anymore.

I told my Aunt I'll be starting my bike lessons soon and she didn't sound too happy bout it. She kept saying she won't buy me a bike(even though I've never asked her to). She threatend to set my bike ablaze if I buy one. But I don't think she's serious about that. I know she's just worried about me smashing into something at 80kmh. But I'll take my chances. I take those same chances everytime I step out of the house anyway. I mean if you gotta go, you gotta go. If one lived in fear all the time, what's the point in living? My Aunts thought buying me a bicycle was a dangerous thing. But the best times I've had in my youth was on my bike. Cycling all over Singapore, discovering new places, challenging myself to make it up a steep hill and breaking a speed record on the downhills. I lived and breathed best during those times. I miss those times. Now I'm too fat and lazy to do those things on my faithful 8 year old bike. A motorcycle just seems like the next evolutionary step in my two-wheeled exploits. Nothing's gonna hold me back from it(especially when my finances isn't).

While browsing around at the bikeshop, I looked at a few motorcycle jackets. I originally planned on getting a leather jacket later on when I get my WR200 but the guy at the shop said it's more practical to get one made of textile. Which makes sense when you include the hot humid tropical climate in the equation. Of course the jacket isn't just for looks. The shoulder, elbow and back guards just might save me from some really serious injury if I happen to slide off the machine at 80kmh. So the guy showed me this jacket at the shop. I think it looks pretty cool. Simple but still kinda cool. I've already decided on it. Now all I've gotta do is pass that damned test!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Alpinestar Air Flow Jacket - If anyone's wondering what to get me for X'mas this year, wonder no more! =oP

Can't wait, can't wait , can't wait to get my Yamaha WR200 @ 0158hrs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home