Monday, November 20, 2006

What's that on your arm?

2137hrs: That seemed to be the most popular question today. I had to make a quick trip down to the hospital this morning to get attached with a portable sphygmomanometer(aka blood pressure meter) cause my doctor wants to see if I've got white coat hypertension(condition where a patient's BP subconciously shoots up when he sees a doctor) or if I have the real hypertension. You know how when a doctor wants to take your blood pressure, he slips a cuff with velcro straps on to your arm and he pumps till your arm turns blue? Imagine wearing the cuff all day and having your arm pumped till you get a tingling sensation in your extremities every 15 mins of the day. Just that the cuff is hooked up to a mini computer that'll log the results over 24 hours. And to get the best result, I had to do it on a normal working day. Between 0600hrs to 2200hrs it'll take a reading every 15 mins and from 2200hrs to 0600hrs, it'll take a reading every 30 mins. Since I can't take the wretched thing off, I can't take a shower either but before you all go 'ewwwwww....', I bathed ok? Yes, I took it off against the nurse's instructions. I just can't stand not taking a shower after a long day in the office ok? Besides, I managed to put it back on during the time between readings. So as far as the device goes, it's none the wiser and same goes for the nurse when she downloads the logged data.

So after being fitted with the doctor's 'torture device', I made my way to work. I got into the office and first one to pop the question was my colleague next to me. So I had to explain what the thing was and why my doctor wants to do the test. And then another colleague comes along and asks the exact same question. By lunch time I contemplated wearing a sign with the explaination written over it. At the end of the day, I counted at least 20 people asked me 'What's that on your arm?'. Well my boss and the girls in the back found the device really amusing. *feigns laughter*

So other than having to deal with a blue arm all day, my flu hasn't quite finished yet. I still had a nose stuffed with thick yellow mucus today. And I had to run to the back where the compactors were everytime I wanted to blow my nose. The reason being that if I did it at my desk, I'll get more than a dozen curious stares because the area surrounding my desk is the epicentre of silence in my office. I do hope the blocked nose goes away soon.

Oh and I met the new girl in the office today when I unknowingly crushed her in the compactors(movable filing cabinets). Much to the horror of people there. I honestly thought nobody was left in that gap and so I wheeled the rack over with my usual ferocity(which can be pretty violent) and much to my horror the last rack bounced back before closing the gap. I rushed over to find the poor girl looking up at me, squashed. I apologised profusely and coolly extended my hand to introduce myself. But she was still too occupied with the pain to grasp my extended hand. I continued to apologise and was musing to her about how I could not have chosen a more dramatic way to introduce myself to a new colleague. She didn't hear my muse though and just as well she didn't. I know what you're all thinking. 'Is she cute?', I hear you say. Honestly, I can't tell. My RADAR's a little awry due to the last few days of being drugged up on meds and having an awful blocked nose which has seriously limited the O2 intake to my head. It's not just the crushed colleague. I didn't check anyone out today whether it was during lunch or on the way home. My RADAR just isn't working. I was more interested in getting my blocked nose cleared and getting home than noticing cuties. And I think it'll be the case for the next two days till my nose clears and oxygen to the brain is restored. So I'll classify the new colleague a little later in the week when my head isn't suffering from oxygen deprivation. But I honestly do feel bad about crushing her though(I said, CRUSHING HER not HAVING A CRUSH on her ok?).

Hmm....maybe Bambi will get her ideal figure if she got crushed in the compactors by me *grin* @ 2235hrs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home