My Best Friend
2152hrs: I was at work this morning when I realised how lonely I felt. I haven't seen any of my friends for ages. Alex is far and away in Aussie land and he won't be back till December. I haven't seen Dom and Janan for almost 3 months since they started school and we can't hang out till December. I miss hanging out with my pals. I've been so lonely and bored recently. Cycling usually solves this problem but since I'm still outta action, I'm miserable.
And nice as my colleagues are, they don't seem to fill the void my best bud left behind when I ORDed. I saw him almost every day for the last 16 months of my army stint. I honestly don't know how we became such good friends but we are. Perhaps it's because we both embrace our inner child so much of the time. We'd play catching in camp like little kids and run around the camp's parking lot like we just don't care. Can you imagine two 21 year olds in army uniforms chasing each other around like little kids at the playground? There was even one morning when Justina chased me into the ground and I fell on the floor laughing like an idiot even though I was hurt. Actually come to think of it, we did chase each other around pretty often in camp.
We were always each other's confidant in camp. We'd always try to solve eachother's relationship problems. I was there for him when his girlfriend of 5 years broke up with him. And he gave me the same attention when I was in caught up in a bad relationship. It was nice to have someone to gripe to about the shitty work in camp. And it was always an ego boost to have him ask me about ammunition stuff. I found it ironic that the admin clerk(yours truly) knew more about ammunition than an ammo technician(Justina) who went through 3 months of ammo training(Come on Justina, you know it's true! :oP ). Then again, I think I was the only one in camp who found the ammunition encyclopaedias an interesting read coupled with my soft spot for things that go 'BOOM'.
Every month Justina and I would try to align our guard duties together whenever we could. And we'll always be up to 'funny' stuff whenever we did duties together. We'd watch Singapore Idol and take turns to throw insults at the not so talented singers. And when that got boring, we'd go hunt down lizards with our make shift flamethrower. I still remember the look on Justina's face when he saw thick black smoke pouring outta the clerk's office one day when we were on duty together thinking I had set the office on fire. The genius that I am tried to 'melt' the hardened shoe polish with my portable blow-torch. Before I knew it, the shoe polish caught fire!!! I panicked and realised it was burning on my WOODEN table so I knocked it to the ground but it continued to BURN! Managed to put the fire out but the windowless office was already filled with black smoke. I was still choking outside the office when Justina came out into the corridor and saw the black smoke pouring out of the office. So I lied and told him with a solemn face that I had set the office on fire. Heh heh...I think he was about to reach for the fire extinguisher when I told him I was kidding. The melted shoe polish left a huge black mark on the office floor. The afternoon was spent trying to scrape most of the shoe polish outta the concrete floor with a machete which Justina so kindly hepled me with. Even today, the mark is still on the office floor.

The flame-thrower.
Just before I ORDed I remember Justina telling me how different things would be after I leave. The both of us tried to make the best of our time together just before I left. My ORD day was so surreal. It was hard realising I wouldn't see carebear(my other nickname for Justina) everyday anymore. But it was nice to know I couldn't be replaced. Our friendship's kinda like Turk and JD(from the TV Sitcom, SCRUBS). In fact, by the time Justina and I finished Season 5 of Scrubs, we were acting like Turk and JD.
Bro,
I know things have been tough recently but you'll be joining me in the civil world really soon! We'll go celebrate your new found freedom at the end of December k? Yes, drinks on me! But I really do miss our crazy days back in camp. I miss screwing up your daily lunch time chin-up routine by standing in front of you and making funny faces. Only to watch you try to stifle a laughter before falling off the chin-up bar. That always made my day. Heh heh. We gotta have a sleep over soon man! Can't wait to go driving around in your big SUV! I miss the Fortuner!

Ma best pal and I. Yes, I took this while he was driving thus the funny expression on Justina's face. It was my ORD day after all and I was a little crazy. :oP
I do hope my entry tonight didn't sound too gay. You know, back in camp everyone had a so-called gay buddy. I have no idea why but maybe it was because guard duties were always done in pairs. We used to give colourful speculations about what the duty personnel did when no one was left in camp. But I won't mention any cause well, I don't think it'll go down too well with the censors. In case you're wondering, yes. Guys do act like kids when they're in camp with no girls around. You'll be surprised.
I'm lonely, unhappy and pathetic @ 2323hrs
And nice as my colleagues are, they don't seem to fill the void my best bud left behind when I ORDed. I saw him almost every day for the last 16 months of my army stint. I honestly don't know how we became such good friends but we are. Perhaps it's because we both embrace our inner child so much of the time. We'd play catching in camp like little kids and run around the camp's parking lot like we just don't care. Can you imagine two 21 year olds in army uniforms chasing each other around like little kids at the playground? There was even one morning when Justina chased me into the ground and I fell on the floor laughing like an idiot even though I was hurt. Actually come to think of it, we did chase each other around pretty often in camp.
We were always each other's confidant in camp. We'd always try to solve eachother's relationship problems. I was there for him when his girlfriend of 5 years broke up with him. And he gave me the same attention when I was in caught up in a bad relationship. It was nice to have someone to gripe to about the shitty work in camp. And it was always an ego boost to have him ask me about ammunition stuff. I found it ironic that the admin clerk(yours truly) knew more about ammunition than an ammo technician(Justina) who went through 3 months of ammo training(Come on Justina, you know it's true! :oP ). Then again, I think I was the only one in camp who found the ammunition encyclopaedias an interesting read coupled with my soft spot for things that go 'BOOM'.
Every month Justina and I would try to align our guard duties together whenever we could. And we'll always be up to 'funny' stuff whenever we did duties together. We'd watch Singapore Idol and take turns to throw insults at the not so talented singers. And when that got boring, we'd go hunt down lizards with our make shift flamethrower. I still remember the look on Justina's face when he saw thick black smoke pouring outta the clerk's office one day when we were on duty together thinking I had set the office on fire. The genius that I am tried to 'melt' the hardened shoe polish with my portable blow-torch. Before I knew it, the shoe polish caught fire!!! I panicked and realised it was burning on my WOODEN table so I knocked it to the ground but it continued to BURN! Managed to put the fire out but the windowless office was already filled with black smoke. I was still choking outside the office when Justina came out into the corridor and saw the black smoke pouring out of the office. So I lied and told him with a solemn face that I had set the office on fire. Heh heh...I think he was about to reach for the fire extinguisher when I told him I was kidding. The melted shoe polish left a huge black mark on the office floor. The afternoon was spent trying to scrape most of the shoe polish outta the concrete floor with a machete which Justina so kindly hepled me with. Even today, the mark is still on the office floor.

The flame-thrower.
Just before I ORDed I remember Justina telling me how different things would be after I leave. The both of us tried to make the best of our time together just before I left. My ORD day was so surreal. It was hard realising I wouldn't see carebear(my other nickname for Justina) everyday anymore. But it was nice to know I couldn't be replaced. Our friendship's kinda like Turk and JD(from the TV Sitcom, SCRUBS). In fact, by the time Justina and I finished Season 5 of Scrubs, we were acting like Turk and JD.
Bro,
I know things have been tough recently but you'll be joining me in the civil world really soon! We'll go celebrate your new found freedom at the end of December k? Yes, drinks on me! But I really do miss our crazy days back in camp. I miss screwing up your daily lunch time chin-up routine by standing in front of you and making funny faces. Only to watch you try to stifle a laughter before falling off the chin-up bar. That always made my day. Heh heh. We gotta have a sleep over soon man! Can't wait to go driving around in your big SUV! I miss the Fortuner!

Ma best pal and I. Yes, I took this while he was driving thus the funny expression on Justina's face. It was my ORD day after all and I was a little crazy. :oP
I do hope my entry tonight didn't sound too gay. You know, back in camp everyone had a so-called gay buddy. I have no idea why but maybe it was because guard duties were always done in pairs. We used to give colourful speculations about what the duty personnel did when no one was left in camp. But I won't mention any cause well, I don't think it'll go down too well with the censors. In case you're wondering, yes. Guys do act like kids when they're in camp with no girls around. You'll be surprised.
I'm lonely, unhappy and pathetic @ 2323hrs
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home