Sunday, November 05, 2006

Forces aƩriennes suisses

1415hrs: Just watched one of those old videos on my com again. I just think rock music and jet power mesh together perfectly. Watching those Swiss Air Force Mirage IIIs frolicking among the Swiss Alps with condensation vortices pouring off the canards and delta wing surfaces is such a turn on. Minimal separation formations, barrel rolls(and flat ones) and snap turns aplenty with the afterburner from the single SNECMA Atar engine lighting up the evening sky while climbing into oblivion. There's a scene where a lone Mirage on full afterburner is doing a half Immelmann while popping flares. I thought that was pretty cool. Fine, it's more a video of showboating than anything else. But those Mirages have never looked cooler. *heh* I do wonder if the RSAF's F-16s engage in such horseplay over the South China Sea or are they as boring as I think they are?

I've never been a big fan of Dassault's Mirages although I have to agree what they've achieved with delta winged jets is akin to black magic. The level of maneuverability on these delta-winged jets were unheard of previously. I've always thought deltas can't turn to save their own behinds but after a live demonstration from a Mirage 2000 a couple years back, I was impressed.

I like the minimalist look of the Swiss Air Force jets with only their distinctive white cross against a red roundel to distinguish it. The ghost grey carried by the fighters is perfect for the snow capped mountains of the Alps. Switzerland although a neutral country have quite a respectable and well thought out comprehensive collection of air assets. Covering a broad spectrum of mission requirements. Oh and only in Switzerland do you have fighter jets taxiing across public roads right in front of your car.

I'm just indulging in my first love. I can't wait to get that full cockpit simulator next year for my birthday. It's gonna cost as much as my first iPod but I really think I'll have a lotta fun with it. I'm itching to get back to the flight simming community. I miss the exhilaration of having someone hounding my butt at 500 MPH. A word of warning though. There'll be a lot more talk about my first love when I do get back to simming. Be warned.


One of the best videos from the Swiss Air Force

You gotta keep 'em separated @ 1451hrs

PS: Think you might need UTF-8 encoding on your browsers for the accented words to display correctly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home