Sunday, March 13, 2005

Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?

2210hrs: It's been an enlightening week for me. I started my first week of OJT(On Job Training) at this new office. I'm gonna be a clerk from now on cause apparently I'm not suitable for ammo work. Anyways I thought it'll be great to be in an office rather than sweating it out in the depot. Boy was I wrong. This office is a hugely different enviroment altogether. It's an extremely hostile place. No, it's not cause of my fellow colleagues. They're all really nice people. It's the DXOs. They're what's known as Defence Executive Officers. Basically admin clerks who are on the SAF's paycheck. They wear civillian but they have a military rank attached to their appointments. So this office that I'm in has 4 DXOs holding the positions of Chief Clerk and Admin Clerks. The admin clerks are the real bitches. The shit thing about this whole situation is that they make us(the NSF) do all the fucking work while they take home a salary that's 5 to 6 times of what we get. So we get more work for less pay. And in this office there's a power struggle between the DXOs and the NSFs. We're not happy that we're being bossed around all the time by the bitches and how they control us as if we were dogs on a leash. I mean after working for 2 to 3 hours straight, we need a fucking break. But the bitches come around and say, "Why? No work to do ah?". While they can stop their work 30mins before lunch and rest and read newspaper while in the office. Since I've been in this office, I feel as if I've walked into a cage. All 9 of us NSFs feel the same way. The Chain of Command in this office goes like this. There's a Man Power Officer who's a female Captain below her is a newly created position known as DY S1 who's a 2nd Lieutenant and below that is the Chief Clerk and then comes the 3 secretaries and then us, the NSF. So we're at the lowest and we're treated like it is. The damn Chief Clerk gives the 3 secretaries power to control us while we have nothing. We can't complain if we're being treated unfairly and we can't talk back to the secretaries cause they can just get us charged and in the worst case, get thrown in military prison. They know they can harm us but we can't do shit. So we all gotta act like puppies in the office. This office is deathly silent in the day because everyone's being reined in by the 3 secretaries and the stupid thing is the 5 women can make as much noise as they want while we can only whisper softly to each other. To be fair out of the 3 secretaries, 1 of them isn't bad but the other two can be a real bitch. Especially one of them, she goes to the extent of telling me how I can sit. I can't cross my legs and I can't pivot myself in other to get a better angle on the dry admin stuff they've been forcing me to read 8 hours a day. The Chief Clerk even went as far as to split us up during our break time so that we won't gossip about the DXOs. We used to have the freedom to go for breaks whenever we want but now they have a bloody time-table. The purpose of which was made clear was to stop us from gossiping about the clerks. Well if we weren't being treated so badly, we wouldn't have anything to gossip now would we? I'm not saying being in this office is all bad. Every place there's good and bad it's just a matter of choosing which one's more acceptable. Granted that in this office at least I get a chance to leave the base to do despatch to other bases so it's not so boring. And my fellow NSFs are nice people so that's a plus point and we band together more cause of our harsh masters. And now in this place I make it a point to arrive late cause they usually start late so that's a good thing I guess. *sigh*

Still conflicted at 2238hrs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home