Monday, January 24, 2005

Shall we dance, Mr Clark?

2211hrs: Just came home from watching 'Shall We Dance'. 2 amusing things happened while watching the movie. For the starters I was quite tickled when I found out Richard Gere's character had the same name as a character in Tom Clancy books. I've been reading Tom Clancy's 'Rainbow Six' and I'm down to the last 100 or so pages out of the 897. Richard Gere's character was named 'John Clark'. A mild mannered New York lawyer, happily married for 19 years with 2 kids. Who discovers the joy of ballroom dancing. He bears the same name as one of Tom Clancy's most popular character in his books. Tom Clancy's John Clark appears in all his novels and was introduced in 'Without Remorse' which is a very good book. This Mr Clark was an ex-Navy Seal from the Vietnam era plucked from the streets of New York after killing off a bunch of low life drug pushers to avenge the death of the woman he loved. After which he was picked up by the CIA and got a new identity to save him from being prosecuted for the deaths of the low lifes. After induction into the CIA, his name was changed from John Kelly to John Clark. He rose through the ranks very quickly within the agency heading mostly black-ops and came out a very well respected field officer. Married to a nurse with 2 daughters. His last assignment was to head an international counter-terrorist group he created codenamed 'Rainbow'. And thus 'Rainbow Six'. 'Six' being the common name givem to the boss of an outfit within the special ops commnunity. So can you imagine the smile spreading across my face when Jennifer Lopez asked 'Mr Clark' if he'd like to dance? I can't imagine John Clark, the indestructible CIA field officer doing ballroom dancing with a .45 Beretta strapped to his side no doubt.

The 2nd funny thing was 15mins into the movie my friend got a call from base that he's been activated to replace one of the guards who was sick. And because they couldn't get the other replacement, he has to go back. I quipped to my friend saying that for all he knows I'm the other guy who's suppose to go back. My friend left for base 30mins into the movie. And when I got home, I checked my phone and realised there were a bunch of missed calls. And they were from base. I called back and was told I was suppose to be the replacement guard. I called my pal, told him what happened and got called a 'slut'. And now I owe him a movie ticket. He's being a really good sport about it but I'm sure it must feel horrible to be called back to base in the middle of a movie. All I gotta say is 'Sorry, mate'. Will make it up to him with another movie after my paycheck comes in.

'Shall We Dance' was a pretty good movie. The dance moves were good and it got me thinking about picking up ballroom dancing. Watching the graceful waltzes made me wanna head home and put on Tchaikovsky's 'Waltz of the Flowers'. Hmm...perhaps I might decide to pick up some dancing later in the year after getting my driving license.

Still conflicted at 2236hrs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home