Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Interesting day...

2100hrs: Today was awfully interesting. Somehow I get the feeling the SAF runs on double standards. Got tongue lashed about my hair this morning in front of everyone even though there are people with hair much longer than mine. But in the end I got served with 3 extra guard duties. What a way to start off the new year. I'll probably be spending most of Chinese New Year doing guard duty just like how I'm gonna be spending New Year's Eve doing guard duty....how nice. I've already missed National Day this year and now New Year's eve too. At least only one of the two bad things happened today. I went to base expecting to get the 3 guard duties and being asked to do duty on the day of my Birthday Bash. But I highlighted my situation to the duty planning sergeant today and he was nice enough to make a few adjustments to my schedule. I was supposed to do duty on Friday evening till Saturday morning. But considering I would've had little sleep during the duty I obviously wouldn't be energetic enough to escape all the tricks my friends have for me during the party. So he shifted it from the 7th to 2nd Jan. Nice of him to do that.

You know I've been thinking about the SAF being a very unfair employer giving it's workers long hours of back-breaking work with low wages. That's not exactly true. The SAF has always offered a solution for those who find life in the SAF too high-strung and in need of a way out. I'm sure they've never actively promoted this silent option. And what's this option? Well, they've always issue us 5 rounds of M193 5.56mm Ball ammunition whenever we're on guard duty. And considering we've got about 4 guard duties a month(5 to 6 for me for the next month or two), this option is quite easily accessible. I can just imagine the instructions, "Take one orally when feeling depressed for a permanent solution to all your problems. Please note that the SAF will not be held responsible for any unpleasant side-effects(i.e. death) caused or encouraged by this prescription." Maybe one of these days I might decide to take this option myself. Of course I'm just talking crazy but sometimes life in the army gets a little unbearable especially when it gets really hard to see beyond the current circumstances.

Take one for quick relief
Anyways today was a really tiring day. I still had to go for a haircut after work. I think by now I've all but given up on my hair. Nothing I do seems to fix it especially not with the boundaries set for me. So I'm gonna just let it grow whichever way it wants to from now on. I just read the papers when I came home in the evening and sometimes I think I'm a real bastard. My friend was relating to me about the tsunamis that hit some countries in Asia. He was saying something about the whole disaster being very depressing cause so many people died and he felt bad about the number of lives lost. To which I replied, "that's just too bad, who asked to be born in the wrong country?". I was only familiar with the sheer magnitude of the disaster till I read the papers. 22,000 lives lost. Sometimes I wish I could take back some of the things I say. I do feel bad about it.

I was looking for someone on Friendster this morning before heading to work. And as I was scrolling through the results, this picture caught my eye. I couldn't get over how cute this girl looks in the photo and so I decided to get to know her. I still can't stop thinking how cute she looks smiling like that. But that smile seems to come with a huge brain too. I suspect that she's from NUS Law Faculty. Yikes, she might be a lawyer some day. Ha...but I wouldn't mind being prosecuted by her...not one bit. hahahaha, I'm currently in the process of chatting her up but my inferiority complex doesn't allow me to hope beyond friendship. But still even my inferior self agrees she's got a killer smile to melt me.

hmm...I don't know if it's alright to put her pic here I hope she wouldn't mind since it's for a good reason.
Smiley, funky chick
Still conflicted at 2150hrs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home