Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Amusing, weird and painful day...

2130hrs: Called my old friend last night despite my shyness and inhibitions. Had a 10min conversation with her but halfway through the conversation I had to tell her to call my HP cause I couldn't hear her very well. For one she's quite soft spoken(which I quite like in girls) and secondly my darn phone is really soft and the stupid static was irritating the crap outta me. But less than 3 mins after she called, she had to put down cause apparently her parents are quite particular about her using the phone especially when she's calling out. I was a little disappointed but wasn't feeling too bad about it. So I made my bed and went to sleep but just before the Z monster gobbled me whole, I got an sms. YES, it was from her and YES I was really surprised. Why? Cause she doesn't usually sms or call people(at least that's what she told me) cause she's using a prepaid card so she has to limit her phone calls and smses. Fine, I read the sms 5 times already since I got it. Gave her a nice but long and friendly reply. She apologised for not being able to talk longer cause her parents aren't happy when she calls people so I replied that I'll call over the weekend....maybe.

So now after being filled with ideas from my friend like how I met her a 2nd time at the same bus stop was somehow linked to fate and that I should sieze the chance to know her better and all. I couldn't stop playing with the thought of being closer to her and well I've just been having so much lovey dovey thoughts that I've picked up The Teenage Textbook & its sequel The Teenage Workbook again. I managed to finish all 175 pages of The Teenage Textbook in class yesterday while doing my national duty of protecting the sovereignty of the Fatherland. For the benefit of the uninitated and ignorant lot here, The Teenage Textbook & Workbook is apparently the critically acclaimed book that chronicles the life and likes of a typical Singaporean teenager. And how they grow and change from wide-eyed 16 year olds to wide-eyed 17 year olds(har har...yes a lame attempt at canned laughter), from Seconday school to Junior College aka High School. As the author of the books so aptly put it "The book was critically acclaimed because every reviewer that read the book was critical about it." But seriously, the reason why I'm reading this book is because it has lots of witty humour and well it has a sweet love story inside that sometimes I wish I was playing the male part(as in the role not literally 'part'). Being that this is the 3rd or 4th time I'm reading this book, I guess I just really like going back into it once in awhile. And I realised I got this book back when I was 17 while I was still in Secondary school in 2001. When I was at the threshold of a new beginning. Where I leave boyhood behind and leap into the wild blue yonder of teenhood and finally to the great beyond of adulthood. Perhaps I've left boyhood behind but I'm not so sure about teenhood though I've past the teen years. In oh another 84 days I'll be considered an adult capable of making my own decisions under the eyes of the law. It's seems paradoxical that I'm past the teen years but I'm still like one. So unsure of myself and surprisingly(at least to myself) still boyishly shy about so many things. I was getting a lot of attention yesterday just because I was holding The Teenage Textbook in my hands. When my friend saw me reading the book he was giving me that stupid grin and asking "Eh...so how's Sissy Song ah?" FYI: Sissy Song is one of the more 'interesting' characters in the book. Anyways that idiotic friend of mine just kept asking me the same question everytime he saw me reading the book and I'll always tell him.....forget what I tell him cause it's censored. Basically I told him to go mind his own business in a buddy buddy way of course. Towards the end of the day when I was at last few chapters when a significant event was being concluded, one of the friendlier Sergeants came up from behind and said "K ah, you still going through teenhood is it? Late bloomer ah?". I got startled and wondered aloud why everyone was so interested in my particular choice of books for that day. In which my good pal answered, "Why can't you be reading something more serious?". Something more serious? I guess that book Rolling Thunder: Jet Combat from WW2 to Gulf War wasn't serious enough. Nooooooo, talking about past wars and how airpower has effectively changed the battlefield and opening up a whole new dimension in warfare while presenting itself as a means of keeping peace and thus shaping geopolitics in our modern world wasn't serious enough. Sure, I'll pick up something more serious next time....how bout Aristotle(Socrate's understudy) or Homer's Illiad? Is that serious enough for you? Anyways, I only managed to finish 80 pages of The Teenage Workbook today cause there was a test and I wasn't really in the mood for reading. Was so rudely interrupted by some numb skull who thought that burning the rubber on the sole of his boots and creating toxic fumes in an air-conditioned room was fun. Plus for some reason, people in army seem obessesed about making their boots shine even though in today's army, the standard only requires us to keep our boots black. So the stench of burning rubber and shoe polish drove me and a few like minded fellows out of the room.

So that's for the weird part. Now for the painful part...

As today was one of our weekly 'Healthy Lifestyle Day', we were required(more like ORDERED actually) to play some form of games after lessons ended early. So I was forced to participate in something and there were only 2 games being played. Basketball and Soccer both which were unknown to me. See, I'm not the typical fellow who runs around a rectangular space chasing a damned ball with a dozen or so other sweaty bodies exchanging bacteria laden body fluids(I know this may turn some people on but NOT ME!). In my childhood days, I'll either be reading, messing with the computer, playing video games, cycling or engaged in one of my dozen other mellow, quiet laid back hobbies(like giving cute furry rodents (e.g. hamsters) commando survival training). But somehow today I ended playing soccer. I warned the guys that I've touched a soccer ball less than 5 times in my entire life and for those rare times that I did play, I was always cursed at by the other guys cause I kept missing the ball. So fine, I'm just not good at running around chasing balls. But despite that, I played today. I doing my thing, chasing the damned ball trying to harass the opposing player for the ball. Then after some harassing the ball was passed to my team and my good pal(don't know how much of a good pal he was then) decided it was a good idea to give the ball one hard kick into the deep end of the court. Problem is it didn't make it to the end of the court, it hit a barrier and the barrier was the BACK OF MY HEAD. Thank God the damned thing wasn't fully pumped or I'll be concussed now. Anyways I got back into the game huffing and puffing and again I was chasing the ball from another guy. Then by some freak episode of nature, he tripped and his kneecap rammed full force into my schin. And now my schin has a nice big swollen bruise. I told my Mum about it and she laughed....can you believe it? She just laughed then proceeded to rub the bruise hoping to ease the swelling while I was grimacing in much pain trying to squirm out of her grip. While gloating in my misfortune, she told me soccer was meant for the rough and tumble people....not her son. YES! I admit I'm not a rumble tumble person on my own but put me in a darn bike and I'll rumble(but hopefully not tumble) down a street at 50km/h with great confidence in my skill and agillity in avoiding obstacles(old people on old bicylces, stupid buses, stupid souped-up cars with drivers even lower on the evolutionary scale).

So there that was the kind of day I had today. Ok...its 2300hrs now and I've gotta go sleep its more than 1 hour close to 2 hours past my bedtime. But then again there isn't much to do tomorrow so I can either read or sleep most of the time in class. Think I'll be doing the latter until I feel well enough for the former.

Wow I just wrote 1,544 words including this sentence....didn't know I had so much to write...heh...actually I have more but I need sleep so I'll leave it for tomorrow. Night night


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home