Driving 101: Always know when to give THE FINGER
2159hrs: Just had driving on Friday night. It was my 4th lesson but it was really fun. My clutching is now perfect and my steering is almost perfect. I can now pay attention to changing traffic conditions. In short, I'm starting to build situational awareness on the road. I was really having a lot of fun driving and it was perhaps the most fun I've had since I started lessons. It was also the fastest I've ever driven. At one point on a straight I hit 5th Gear and topped at 60km/h before my instructor told me to slow down. He does that a lot cause I tend to wanna go fast all the time.
I met a lot of assholes on Friday too. People who act so smug around L plate drivers. I encountered 2 idiots who deliberately did things to faze me. Of course they didn't succeed cause I am confident behind the wheel(I'm a natural). The first idiot was a 'beng' in his white Honda Civic EK9. I don't know what he was trying to prove when he accelerated out of my blind spot on a one way street. My instructor was swearing while I got really pissed. I wanted to catch him at the light but my instructor told me to slow down. I mean, what he hell is that joker trying to prove? That he can out run an L plate? Or did he expect me to stall? Why bring your modded lousy Jap car to a place you know is full of learner drivers unless you were trying to prove something? And even if you were there to prove you're a better driver, it's quite obvious isn't it? I mean we won't have L plates on our cars if we knew how to drive. To that idiot in the EK9, come meet me after I have my license and a WRX and I'll show you what true driving is all about. Public roads aren't meant for racing. A track is. I'll see you anytime on a track.
The 2nd asshole was in a Toyota RAV4 SUV. He was tailgating all the while with his annoyingly bright headlights. He finally decided to over take me in a very unsafe manner which pissed my instructor off. While the SUV was driving by, my instructor leaned over my side to give the idiot 'the finger'. I burst out laughing and joined in with the horn. It was hilarious! The guy deserved it anyway.
I quite like my instructor. I'm alright that he can be vulgar at times but I don't mind. I mean I'm in the ARMY. Vulgarity is a common thing once you're in green. But he's also very experienced with 33 years of teaching behind him. And I trust him but I do get a little annoyed whenever he holds the steering wheel for me. I feel that in order for me to develop a 'feel' for steering, I gotta do it myself. But then again, the instructor is paid to sit beside me so I don't get myself killed. I like the fact that he's training me to be a good driver. In the 4th lesson he was giving a rapid staccato of commands and I managed to respond to every single one without problems. My gear shifting is fast now compared to the first 2 lessons. From the 3rd lesson onwards, I've been feeling more and more relaxed. I'm enjoying driving. In the 3rd lesson I discovered the reason for my legs being so tense whenever I shift gears. My seat wasn't properly adjusted. But once I got the seat right, everything was vanilla. All the gears were within reach, the steering wasn't too far and most importantly my legs were much more relaxed.
I'm really having a lot of fun. And I think my rapid progress is partly thanks to my instructor. And the other part I guess is my affinity with cars. Somehow I suspect I probably popped out of my mother's womb with a gear knob and steering wheel in hand. I've had a love affair with cars since before I could walk. I remember I received a bright red Ferrari RC car for my birthday when I was 4 or 5. And I remember crashing it on the day I got it. I ran it down the staircase and the rear windshield broke. I remember Mum taped it back for me and if I'm not wrong, it was a Ferrari F40. One of the best sportscars ever made. Okay I side tracked abit. As you can see, my love for cars has been going for awhile now. I've lived it, breathed touched it. So getting my license and getting it quickly and competently is matter of pride for me. Driving is more than just driving to me. It's an art. True driving is an art. Just look at the way Michael Schumacher's feet dance like a ballerina whenever he's driving. It's about becoming one with a machine. To sense every suttle nuances from it. Be it steering, engine, exhaust note or just the overall sound the car produces.
How could I ever hope to drive a Subaru WRX STi competitively if I can't even handle a Nissan Sunny in every day commuter traffic? Driving at it's highest form is more than a skill. It's an Art. An Art I hope to perfect one day.
Glossary
I met a lot of assholes on Friday too. People who act so smug around L plate drivers. I encountered 2 idiots who deliberately did things to faze me. Of course they didn't succeed cause I am confident behind the wheel(I'm a natural). The first idiot was a 'beng' in his white Honda Civic EK9. I don't know what he was trying to prove when he accelerated out of my blind spot on a one way street. My instructor was swearing while I got really pissed. I wanted to catch him at the light but my instructor told me to slow down. I mean, what he hell is that joker trying to prove? That he can out run an L plate? Or did he expect me to stall? Why bring your modded lousy Jap car to a place you know is full of learner drivers unless you were trying to prove something? And even if you were there to prove you're a better driver, it's quite obvious isn't it? I mean we won't have L plates on our cars if we knew how to drive. To that idiot in the EK9, come meet me after I have my license and a WRX and I'll show you what true driving is all about. Public roads aren't meant for racing. A track is. I'll see you anytime on a track.
The 2nd asshole was in a Toyota RAV4 SUV. He was tailgating all the while with his annoyingly bright headlights. He finally decided to over take me in a very unsafe manner which pissed my instructor off. While the SUV was driving by, my instructor leaned over my side to give the idiot 'the finger'. I burst out laughing and joined in with the horn. It was hilarious! The guy deserved it anyway.
I quite like my instructor. I'm alright that he can be vulgar at times but I don't mind. I mean I'm in the ARMY. Vulgarity is a common thing once you're in green. But he's also very experienced with 33 years of teaching behind him. And I trust him but I do get a little annoyed whenever he holds the steering wheel for me. I feel that in order for me to develop a 'feel' for steering, I gotta do it myself. But then again, the instructor is paid to sit beside me so I don't get myself killed. I like the fact that he's training me to be a good driver. In the 4th lesson he was giving a rapid staccato of commands and I managed to respond to every single one without problems. My gear shifting is fast now compared to the first 2 lessons. From the 3rd lesson onwards, I've been feeling more and more relaxed. I'm enjoying driving. In the 3rd lesson I discovered the reason for my legs being so tense whenever I shift gears. My seat wasn't properly adjusted. But once I got the seat right, everything was vanilla. All the gears were within reach, the steering wasn't too far and most importantly my legs were much more relaxed.
I'm really having a lot of fun. And I think my rapid progress is partly thanks to my instructor. And the other part I guess is my affinity with cars. Somehow I suspect I probably popped out of my mother's womb with a gear knob and steering wheel in hand. I've had a love affair with cars since before I could walk. I remember I received a bright red Ferrari RC car for my birthday when I was 4 or 5. And I remember crashing it on the day I got it. I ran it down the staircase and the rear windshield broke. I remember Mum taped it back for me and if I'm not wrong, it was a Ferrari F40. One of the best sportscars ever made. Okay I side tracked abit. As you can see, my love for cars has been going for awhile now. I've lived it, breathed touched it. So getting my license and getting it quickly and competently is matter of pride for me. Driving is more than just driving to me. It's an art. True driving is an art. Just look at the way Michael Schumacher's feet dance like a ballerina whenever he's driving. It's about becoming one with a machine. To sense every suttle nuances from it. Be it steering, engine, exhaust note or just the overall sound the car produces.
How could I ever hope to drive a Subaru WRX STi competitively if I can't even handle a Nissan Sunny in every day commuter traffic? Driving at it's highest form is more than a skill. It's an Art. An Art I hope to perfect one day.
Glossary
Beng: A male who's loud, boisterous and uncouth. With a horrible fashion sense, ghastly colour combinations and golden hair that gives one the impression of the Golden Tamarin Lion(a species of monkey).
Looking forward to the next lesson at 2245hrs
1 Comments:
Steady ben..uncle gilbert is a very good instructor..listen to him, and you do not need to worry about taxis anytime.
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home