Monday, March 21, 2005

You've got SUPERNORMAL hearing!!!

2148hrs: That's what the doctor said to me today. I had an appoinment with an ear specialist today cause I thought I was going deaf. Thanks to my Shures, I honestly thought I was losing my hearing. Cause I've been getting this pain in my ear. So I thought it'd be best if I went for a hearing test. This Dr Lee was trying to figure out what was causing this pain in my inner ear. She prodded my face, neck, then stuck that ice-cream stick thing down my throat just that the one she stuck down my throat was a curved metal one. I tried hard to stifle the gag response that happens when someone sticks something down your throat the wrong way. I stifled it enough for her to be done. Well after the examination by her, she couldn't figure out what was causing the pain. But I told her it all started since I began wearing my Shures. I told her perhaps she should just proceed with the hearing test and see what that brings about.

I haven't done a hearing test since I was 7 years old mind you. But well the technician/nurse/assistant/sound engineer(I-don't-know-what-you-call-him-guy) placed me in this sound proof booth and gave me this set of earphones and a plastic tube that had wires coming out on one end and a button on top. This little device he gave me actually reminded me of a detonator. His instruction was that if I heard any sounds coming from the headphones, I was to press the button. So the test proceeded and I closed my eyes and just concerntrated. I was trying not to breathe too loudly so I'd be able to hear the low, medium and high tones that were coming through the headphones at different volumes. Sometimes the tones were so faint I thought it were my imagination. The test was over after maybe 10mins. I was called into the good doctor's office again. And this was what she said:

Dr Lee: Ben! Your hearing's normal! Super Normal in fact! It's SUPER super normal!

Me: Huh? But I thought I was going deaf?

Dr Lee: You're not going deaf. In fact, your hearing's above average. Here, look at the graph. Most people can't hear anything below 0dB but for you, you can hear all the way down to -10dB! Even at the lowest frequencies!

Me:(smiling)I'm sorry, I came in here thinking I was going deaf and here you are telling me my hearing's above average. I'm just flabberghasted.

At this point, I think she thought I was gloating but in fact I just found the news amusingly ironic.

Dr Lee: Well then, as long as you take good care of your hearing you should be fine. Now are there anymore questions you'd like to ask me?

Me: Oh yes, you were saying about most people can't hear anything below 0dB? But you said I can hear all the way down to -10dB. Doesn't 0dB mean there's no sound to hear at all?

Dr Lee: Well, you see these markings on the chart. There's 5dB, 10dB, 15dB and so on. And there's the negative. The negative is just what most people can't hear. But well, -10dB is quite common among younger people so it's nothing extraordinary. But as you grow older, your hearing will deteriorate. So for now, just take good care of your ears. As for the pain, maybe you should stop using those earphones or perhaps just don't turn the volume too loud. It appears you just have extremely sensitive ears and maybe loud noises hurts your ears.

Me: Oh? Ok, thank you very much doctor.(Thinking) Well if my hearing wasn't that extraordinary, why did you get so excited and make it sound as if it were so SUPER?

Oh one more thing, she said it could just really be the Shures causing the pain in my inner ear. And she suggested why don't I just get those fully enclosed, earmuff type of headphones. She advised me to stop using the Shures but I protested by saying I paid a lot for the Shures. Well, the alternative was to turn the volume down. Which I do now ever since the pain started and it's been alright.

And about the good doctor. I was quite stunned when I first walked into the treatment room and saw her. She's quite cute actually. And I noticed she wasn't married. So probably just finished her specialist course? But she's probably dating someone. Never the less, she's quite engaging. You could tell from the way she spoke that behind that cute face was a first class mind(duh! Don't all docs have first class minds?). She left the clinic after she was done with me and from the way she walked, she looked quite nerdy. Hmm...I know. I'm very observant isn't it? Still she's one of 2 female doctors that I found pleasing to the eyes. Actually, come to think of it. I think they're the only 2 female doctors I've ever seen. Hmm....


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Shure E2C(centre) with the foam inserts I'm using

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Shures with all the different inserts in different sizes

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Shures and it's case

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This whole package you see here cost me SGD$170 and that's why I can't stop using them. Besides, I don't want to stop using them. They're GREAT! Since my iPod is on sale now, I've stopped using the Shures and gone back to my Sonys and I find my SGD$40 Sonys crap! It's such a huge change!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is the Shures case. It protects the E2Cs real well. It looks as if it's made from kevlar, well it looks bulletproof anyway.

Still conflicted at 2230hrs


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home