Saturday, April 02, 2005

Cocktail & Dreams

0041hrs: Just saw a movie that I've been wanting to see for a long time. Cocktail, a movie starring Tom Cruise. His 10th movie in 1988. I've been wanting to catch this show ever since I heard one of it's theme songs. The Beach Boy's 'Kokomo'. I remember I first heard it when I was 9 years old(I'm sure I heard it before that time). I remember my English teacher(whom I had a very serious crush on) played this a CD for us to listen after doing the listening comprehension exercise. Then when this song came, I got so excited and started exclaiming loudly "I've heard this song before! I LOVE THIS SONG". And in reply to my excitement, the teacher went "Shhhhhhhh!". I just continued listening to the song and grinning blissfully all the way.

In the movie Tom plays Brian Flanagan. Just decommissioned from the US Army and eager to make his first million in New York. Always with a 'get rich quick' motivational book with him, he set out to get a job in New York's corporate world. Only to be turned down over and over again cause of his lacklustre resume. He decides to get a part-time job in a saloon as a bartender to pay his tuition for business school. Under Douglas 'Doug' Coughlin's wing he picks up the tricks of the trade in record time and becomes Doug's instant protégé. And they go on to become New York's most famous bar-men in no time. But along the way something fouls their friendship and Brian decides to move to Jamaica and continue his trade there for less work and more pay. With the hopes that he'd save enough to go back to the city and open his own top class cocktail bar and dreams of having one in every mall and suburbia. While there he falls in love with Jordon Mooney(played by Elisabeth Shue) an artist working as a waitress back in the city. They spend the most romantic times of their lives together until Brian makes a stupid bet with Doug(who came to Jamaica for his honeymoon with his rich wife). Doug bet that Brian can't hustle a rich woman for himself and if he does, his conscience will eat him up by St Patrick's Day. Jordon sees Brian leave the bar with this 'rich woman' then flies back to New York the same evening, broken hearted. And the story goes on with Brian realising he's been nothig more than a 'toyboy' and that he misses Jordon and spends the rest of the movie trying to win her back. A few surprises are thrown in to make the movie just a little more interesting.

My reflections on the movie:

As I watched Brian carry out that silly juvenile bet with Doug, I asked myself if I could ever do that. To give up and in turn hurt the person who loves you for some personal gain. I know I could never hurt another person. As much as I'd like to believe I can be a ruthless bastard, I know I can't. For the reason that I care too much about what others might go through if I hurt them. I've been there. The hurt, rejection and heartache can sometimes leave permanent emotional scars. It is this built-in conscience that always gets me the shit-end of the stick in relationships. I just care too much. Sometimes I wish I could be a bastard who doesn't put too much value on relationships so that it wouldn't hurt me at all when things go to hell. But what sort of morals would I possess if I were to allow myself to deteriorate to that level? But in all honesty, these days I haven't been close enough to anyone to develop any feelings for them. Right now, I'm just a swinging single. And I quite like it.


I know for the most part I appear a superficial, flamboyant 'dog' to all my friends. I know the reason others think of me that way is because I tend to pay more attention to the pretty ones. I admit I like the pretty ones. That's only because they're nice to look at. It embodies the same concept as me stopping to stare at Ferraris & Lamborghinis. They're beautiful and they just capture my attention. But the difference is that when I hear a Lamborghini's 12 cylinders sing in unison like a choir of angels, it sends me into a narcotic bliss of orgasmic proportions. Where as with the ladies, I just acknowledge that the girl is pretty and life goes on. But when push comes to shove I'll know what the important things are. I always do. I know that the perfect life partner doesn't have to be the pretty one. More often than not, she's someone you've never imagine being with. Cause you've always enjoyed her company without romantic ideas spoiling the time spent with her. And then one day you realise she's always been the one for you. Despite your dates with the pretty ones. It was her you've trusted most and shared the most with. As with cars. Even though I have an enormous passion for exotic cars, my current(and future) finances do not. And in future I'll just be happy scooting around in a Toyota Corolla but more preferbly a Subaru WRX. Even though I have my head in the clouds, my feet are still firmly rooted on the ground.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Kokomo
by The Beach Boys

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go
Jamaica


Off The Florida Keys
There's a place called Kokomo
That's where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand
Tropical drink melting in your hand
We'll be falling in love
To the rhythm of a steel drum band
Down in Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

To Martinique, that Montserrat Mystique
We'll put out to sea
And we'll perfect our chemistry
By and by we'll defy a little bit of gravity

Afternoon delight
Cocktails and moonlit nights
That dreamy look in your eye
Give me a tropical contact high
Way down in Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

Port Au Prince I wanna catch a glimpse

Everybody knows
A little place like Kokomo
Now if you wanna go
And get away from it all
Go down to Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take ya to
Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo

Still thinking about Kokomo at 2247hrs(3rd April)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home